Master of Arts in Christian Spiritual Direction
Graduation Credits 24 │ 2-6 years
The Master of Arts in Christian Spiritual Direction degree program is to equip pastors and Christian leaders in the ministry of spiritual formation with an emphasis in spiritual direction. After completion, the student will acquire:
- Professional practice of spiritual direction grounded in the Christian faith and tradition;
- A foundational knowledge on Christian spirituality based on Scripture, church tradition and theology;
- An effective appropriation from the disciplines of psychology and clinic psychology;
- Experiential learning to grasp the transformational dynamic in spiritual formation;
- Capacities for critical theological reflection and integration of knowledge and experience;
- Effective applications of knowledge and skills in the ministry.
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent from an institution recognized by LTS; and
- Two prerequisite courses (6 credits) in the area of biblical studies; otherwise, admitted students should fulfill the requirement via the course at LTS on an extra-credit basis; and
- Applicants must have been baptized for at least one year prior to application for study; and
- Previous experience in spiritual direction and retreat for the purpose of spiritual formation; and
- Applicants should have the interests, aptitudes, and personal qualities necessary for this program; and
- The ability to engage in graduate-level study for academic pursuits and personal development.
A Master of Arts in Christian Spiritual Direction degree holder can continue to study for the Master of Divinity / Master of Arts in specific emphasis / Master of Arts in Theology programs at LTS and credits can be exempted.
(course credits in brackets)
i) Core Courses
CT1000 Introduction to Christian Ethics (3)
DM2009 Dogmatics (Module A) (3)
CP2011 Essential Counseling Skills (3)
SW2000 Paths of Prayer (3)
SW2026 Practice of Spiritual Direction (3)
SW2027/PT2062 Spirituality Workshop and Silent Retreat (3)
SW2029 Ignatian Spirituality and Discernment (3)
SW3019 Spiritual Direction Practicum (3)
ii) Guided Electives on Christian Spirituality (SW)
6 courses (18)
Personal Spiritual Direction (minimum 5 times every year)
Remarks: for a bachelor’s degree holder with a major in Christianity (including 12 credits on Christian Spirituality), a maximum of 18 credits may be exempted.