Master of Arts in Christian Spiritual Direction
Graduation Credits 24 │ Part-time 4-yr
The Master of Arts in Christian Spiritual Direction degree is to equip pastors and Christian leaders in the ministries of spiritual formation, with a focus on spiritual direction.
- Professional practice of Christian spiritual direction grounded in the Christian faith and tradition.
- Foundational knowledge on Christian spirituality based on Scripture, Church tradition and theology.
- Effectual appropriation from human sciences, particularly the disciplines of psychology and clinical psychology, to enhance the understanding of human life and process of direction.
- Experiential learning to grasp the transformational dynamic in spiritual formation.
- Critical theological reflection and integration of knowledge and experience.
- Effective application of knowledge and skills in one’s ministry context.
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent from an institution recognized by LTS; and
- Four prerequisite courses (12 credits) in the area of biblical or theological studies, plus four prerequisite courses (12 credits) in the area of Christian spirituality recognized by LTS; otherwise, admitted students should fulfill the requirement via the course at LTS on an extra-credit basis; and
- Previous experience in spiritual direction and retreat for the purpose of spiritual formation.
The program, which is an integration of academic study, experimental learning, and ministry application, includes 6 core courses plus 2 guided electives. Students must pay attention that they are required to have minimum 5 sessions of personal spiritual direction per year during study, arranged or approved by LTS; and have a supervised practicum after they have completed 5 core courses with the permission of program coordinator. Students are required to pay extra fees for spiritual direction, retreat and practicum supervision, apart from the tuition.
If a Master of Arts in Christian Spiritual Direction degree holder continues to study for the Master of Divinity (M.Div.3-yr) at LTS, a maximum of 12 credits can be exempted. If the holder also has a B.Th. degree, s/he can continue to study for the Master of Divinity (M.Div.2-yr) at LTS with a maximum of 12 credits be exempted.
(course credits in brackets)
i) Core Courses
SW2000 Paths of Prayer (3)
SW2026 Practice of Spiritual Direction (3)
SW2027/PT2062 Spirituality Workshop and Silent Retreat (3)
SW2029 Ignatian Spirituality and Discernment (3)
CP2011 Essential Counseling Skills (3)
SW3019 Spiritual Direction Practicum (3)
ii) Guided Electives on Christian Spirituality (SW)
2 courses (6)