Master of Arts in Christian Spirituality
Graduation Credits 24 │ Part-time 4-yr
The Master of Arts in Christian Spirituality degree is to equip pastors and Christian leaders in the ministries of spiritual formation.
- Foundational knowledge on Christian spirituality based on Scripture, Church tradition and theology. Insight from human sciences, particularly the discipline of psychology, is also employed to enrich the understanding of human life and experience.
- Experiential learning to grasp the transformational dynamic in spiritual formation.
- Critical theological reflection and integration of knowledge and experience.
- Effective application of knowledge and skills in one’s ministry context.
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent from an institution recognized by LTS; and
- Four prerequisite courses (12 credits) in the area of biblical or systematic theologies recognized by LTS; otherwise, admitted students should fulfill the requirement via the course at LTS on an extra-credit basis.
The program, which is an integration of academic study, experimental learning and ministry application, includes 3 core courses, 3 guided electives, plus 2 free electives, for a total of 24 credits. Students are required to pay extra fees for retreats apart from the tuition.
If a Master of Arts in Christian Spirituality degree holder continues to study for the Master of Divinity (M.Div.3-yr) at LTS, a maximum of 12 credits can be exempted. If the holder also has a B.Th. degree, s/he can continue to study for the Master of Divinity (M.Div.2-yr) at LTS with a maximum of 12 credits be exempted.
(course credits in brackets)
i) Core Courses
SW2000 Paths of Prayer (3)
SW2027/PT2062 Spirituality Workshop and Silent Retreat (3)
SW2029 Ignatian Spirituality and Discernment (3)
ii) Guided Electives on Christian Spirituality (SW)
3 courses (9)
iii) Free Electives
2 courses (6)