Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling
Graduation Credits 24 │ 1-3 years
can be completed by taking courses in the evening and Saturday solely
The Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling degree program is to equip pastors/ministers in church or organization with core counseling approaches and practices for future ministry purposes. After completion, students would acquire:
- The counseling theories and practices on various populations across different phases of life;
- The ethics and culture of Christian counseling;
- The application of the pastor counseling to different church cultures and contexts.
- A Bachelor of Theology degree or other bachelor’s degree major in Christianity or equivalent from an institution recognized by LTS; and
- Applicants must have been baptized for at least three years prior to application for study; and
- Applicants should have the interests, aptitudes, and personal qualities necessary for this program; and
- The ability to engage in graduate-level study for academic pursuits and personal development.
Students are required to take 6 guided electives on counseling courses, and 2 free electives. Pastoral Counseling Practicum is optional, it may be counted in free electives, and the practicum will only be started after finishing the required counseling courses and with the permission of the adviser. If applicable, students are required to pay extra fees for practicum supervision apart from the tuition (charges according to the scale of related institutes).
A Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling degree holder can continue to study for the Master of Divinity with Theological Degree / Master of Arts in Christian Counseling programs at LTS and credits can be exempted.
(course credits in brackets)
i) Guided Electives on Christian Counseling (choose 6 courses) (18)
CP2002 Child Counseling
CP2003 Adolescent Counseling
CP2004 Geriatric Counseling
CP2005 Marital Counseling
CP2007 Grief Counseling
CP2011 Essential Counseling Skills
CP2012 Theories and Practice in Group Counseling
CP2014 Theories and Practice of Family Therapy
CP2017/PT2052 Personal Growth
CP2034 Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
CP2035 Satir Transformational Systemic Therapy
CP2036 Counseling Theories and Practices
CP2037/CT2007 Counseling Ethics and Culture
ii) Free Electives
2 courses (6)